South Florida is a great place to live! There are endless beaches, fabulous restaurants, many attractions, sports for participants and fans and a lifestyle that attracts people from around the world. However, all of this is accompanied by heat and humidity – a lot of it. Most can’t imagine life without air conditioning, running 24/7, all year.
Saving money on the air conditioning bill matters when it’s running constantly and depended on so heavily. Here are a few ways to save on the monthly bill by using the a/c as efficiently as possible.
- Maintenance is key. It’s been said 1,000 times, but filters need to be changed monthly for any air conditioner. Some think that high efficiency filters last longer, but that isn’t true. In fact, because they grab more dirt, they need changing more often. When the filters are dirty, air flow is restricted; the unit must work harder, costing you more money.
- Keep the duct-work clean and in good condition. More than 25% of the air conditioning energy bill can be lost in the duct-work.
- The outdoor compressor must be kept unobstructed by anything that would restrict air flow. The area around it should be clear. Make sure that the dryer vent isn’t blowing lint into the fins. When mowing, don’t allow grass to blow into the unit.
- The best temperature setting for the thermostat is 78 degrees. When the air is dry, this is a comfortable temperature. Every degree that the thermostat is lowered will cost three percent more per degree to run the air conditioner. Ceiling fans are a big help in remaining comfortable when the thermostat is set a little higher.
- Those who are regularly away from home for 8 hours or more can benefit from an automatic thermostat. It can be set to raise the temperature when no one is home and lower it before anyone is expected to return. Raising and lowering temperatures for periods shorter than 8 hours will not save any money.
Archon Air Management offers a professional, full-service approach to their many customers in south Florida. Whether someone needs a new system or repairs and maintenance to an old air conditioning system, AirCareNW has the experienced technicians to do the job right the first time. Call for a free energy consulation.